Alpatronix Galaxy S8 4,500mAh Battery Case
- The Battery Case is able to recharge with a wireless charger and it can be recharged through its USB-C input port
- Provides some protection at the front
- Is able to charge the S8 to full power at least once
- Adds quite a bit of thickness that you'll feel most in your pocket
Cases are something that most us place onto our smartphones when we get a new one and it makes sense, as even with powerful body structures and no matter how strong the Gorilla Glass is, there’s still a high chance that your smartphone will break. To add onto that though, if you’re getting a case, then why not get one that’s going to charge it and protect it at the same time and these types of cases are called battery case. Battery cases are basically portable chargers but they’re in the shape of the case for the smartphone that they created for.
In this review, we’re taking a look at this Alphatronix Galaxy S8 4,500mAh battery case. Alpratronix is brand that specializes quite heavily in battery cases and for such as grand smartphone such as the Galaxy S8, let’s see if they did a battery case for it any justice.
If there’s something true about most battery cases on the market, it would be that they advertise to have a whole lot of power capacity and even though they might start out with that much power, that’s not really what you’re going to be getting. This Alpatronix battery case starts out with a 4,500mAh power capacity, but of course, you have to take into account the conversion of the power from the battery case, and to your S8.
3.7 x 4,500 = 16,650 / 5 = 3,330
So actually, what you’re really able to use of the power capacity that’s with this battery case is going to be about 3,300mAh. Even though this is basically more than 1,000mAh less than what the battery case actually starts out with, this much output capacity is perfect for charging a Galaxy S8 and that’s because it can charge the S8 to its full power once. As the Galaxy S8 has a 3,000mAh battery.
Most battery cases have even less power capacity than that and that results in the S8 not being a charge to full power. Of course, your S8 might not even be a charge to full power because you might be using your phone while at the same time charging your S8, and that results in power being used while at the same time charging it with the battery case. So our full power claim is based on not using your smartphone in the first place.
There’s only one way to charge your S8 with this battery case and that would be the USB-C charging connection that’s located inside the battery case. The charging rate of this battery case for the S8 is 5V/1.5A. So this is definitely NOT going to charge your S8 at its max charging rate as it’s not a Quick Charge charging speed. That said, a 5V/1.5A charging speed is going to be faster than what most battery cases have, which is a 5V/1.0A charging rate and the fast charging speed for modern battery cases makes sense as most smartphones these days have more power consumption and really do require more charging power to keep up with that increased power consumption.
To recharge this battery case, there are two options that you can use. There’s the USB-C port that’s located at the bottom of the battery case and you can recharge the battery case at a 5V/1.5A charging rate. Or you can take advantage of the wireless recharging capabilities of this battery case and use any Qi wireless charging pad or stand to recharge it, but the wireless recharging speed of this battery case is slower at a 5V/1.0A recharge rate.
Size and Weight:
The truth is that if you’re getting a battery case, then you should be absolutely prepared for a larger size case, because the case has batteries and other types of circuitry in order to actually charge your phone. That said, despite being a battery case, this Alpatronix case has quite a thin form factor.
It has a length of 6.2 inches, a width of 2.8 inches, and a thickness of 0.6 inches. Most battery cases on the market have at least a 0.7 inch to 0.8-inch thickness, but this one has is rather slim. As a result, even though it’ll, of course, feel that you’re using a battery case once you place your smartphone into your pocket but not nearly as much as most battery cases.
Even with the larger size, it makes it easier to have a better grip. The weight of the case is 4.1 Ounces and that’s also quite light too.
On the functional side, it’s basically what you can expect from most other battery cases and that’s because at the back is where you have a power button and 4 White power capacity indicators. To actually start charging you just have to hold the power button down for about 3 seconds and to stop charging you can do the same thing.
The battery case comes with a headphone jack extender and you can still connect and sync your S8 with a computer without having to take the battery case off and just use the USB-C port that’s directly on the battery case.
Structure and Material:
On the build side, the battery case has full protection over the S8 and this is something that’s rather difficult to do with the S8’s curved screen but there are raised bezels that prevent your screen from touching the ground. Of course, with the thickness of the case, at the back where the fingerprint scanner and the camera are located is where there’s a large cut-out and it’s accurate but it does make it more difficult to get to the fingerprint scanner.
The battery case does get a little warm if you’re wirelessly recharging the battery case and charging your S8 at the same time, as it’s basically pass-through charging which is something that does generate quite a bit of heat.
This Alpatronix battery case offer one full charge to the S8 and the build of it is great too. The user experience is also easy and you don’t have to take the case off when it comes to syncing with computers.
Just a reminder that this case is only usable for the Galaxy S8 and NOT for the S8+
Enough power capacity to charge the S8 to full power one time and the battery case can be recharged through either a USB-C port or through wireless charging.
Even though it has a rather high power capacity, the charger still maintains a slim form factor with a thickness of 0.6 inches.
On the build side, this power bank provides safety for the entire phone as it features raised bezels.
On the reliability side, this battery case is perfect for charging an S8 while you’re on the move and it has a thin form factor to make it easier having it on.
Specs of the Alpatronix Galaxy S8 4,500mAh Battery Case:
- Power Capacity: 4,500mAh | Output Capacity: 3,330mAh
- Output: 5V/1.0A
USB-C Input: 5V/1.5A
Wireless Recharging: 5V/1.0A
- LED Power Indicator: Four White Power Indicators
- Size: 6.2 x 2.8 x 0.6 inches
- Weight: 4.1 Ounces
This Galaxy S8 Alpatronix battery case has proven to be powerful with its power capacity and innovative with its wireless and port recharging methods.
Galaxy S8 Battery Case Qi Wireless Charging Compatible, Alpatronix BX430 5.8-inch 4500mAh Slim Rechargeable Extended Protective Portable Backup Charger Case for Samsung Galaxy S8 [Android 8.0] – Black
$34.95 in stock
- POWERFUL CHARGE: Outstanding 4500mAh UL-certified internal battery for your Galaxy S8 effectively charges well over 100% to last you the entire day. The built-in battery provides up to 1.5x your normal battery power.
- COMPATIBLE WITH Qi WIRELESS CHARGING: Receive 20% OFF our CX101 wireless charging pad (ASIN: B0798X8Y9K) when you purchase BOTH battery case and wireless charger, 100% compatible with this battery case. You can use any Qi wireless charging pad (not included) to charge both the phone and the battery case together. Link to CX101: http://a.co/9gxoBgr
- MADE FOR GALAXY S8: 100% compatible to support Android OS 8.0+ (Oreo) & older, future Android OS software updates. ONLY compatible with Samsung Galaxy S8, 5.8" (*NOT compatible with Galaxy S8 Active or Plus 6.2"). 360° scratch-guard protection minimizes bulk and weight for Galaxy S8 charger case. Raised front bumper stands higher than your Galaxy screen to avoid contact with other surfaces. This battery case has the highest industry regulatory certificates: CE, RoHS, and FCC.
- EASY & SIMPLE INSTALLATION: Remove top piece and slide the Galaxy S8 to connect to the battery case's USB-C output port. Once Galaxy S8 is seated, reconnect the top piece in the correct orientation and snap into place on all sides. To remove your Galaxy S8, simply remove the top piece and slide your Galaxy S8 out. You can conveniently charge and sync both the battery case and Galaxy S8 to your PC, laptop or Macbook without having to remove the battery case.
- LIFE-TIME IRONCLAD WARRANTY: Ensures you are protected for the life of this product and 30-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE offers peace of mind, enabling you to return the product in case you don't like your purchase for any reason.