Fast chargers that have to provide a lot of power tend to be larger because they have silicone components within them. However, that’s changing with Gallium Nitride chargers (GaN). You may have already seen a few GaN chargers on the market, and they’re powerful chargers that have small form factors.
The small form factor is achieved through having the charger use a GaN chip that is able to deliver a higher amount of power. As a result, you get the best of both worlds, and that’s exactly what this Aukey PA-D4 60W PD GaN wall charger features.
The charging power from this Aukey wall charger is phenomenal, and we’re putting it like that because there are quite a few chargers on the market that can output this much power. From third party companies at least, because usually, you’d have to get the original charger that you’re device came with if you wanted this much power.
That’s not the case anymore, and with 60W of Power Delivery charging from this single port, you’re able to charge a wide range of USB-C Power Delivery compatible devices.
Fast charging USB-C Android smartphones? You’re good to go. Fast charging Power Delivery compatible iPhones? That can be done with a USB-C to Lightning cable.
Charging a Nintendo Switch with this Aukey wall charger can also be done, as we’ve shown above, too.
One of the best ways to utilize this charger though is if you have a USB-C Power Delivery compatible laptop. Laptops such as Chromebooks, MacBooks, Asus laptops, or Dell laptops, require that you use more powerful PD chargers. With the use of 60W, you’re in the range where you can use this charger to charge your laptop all the way down to your phone.
Size and Weight:
This is the second part where this Aukey charger shines and that’s because it has the form factor of a regular 12W USB-A port. Since the charger has a length of 2.5 inches, a width of 2.3 inches, and a thickness of 1.4 inches. The weight of the charger is 4.3 Ounces.
Using the charger is as easy as taking out the retractable AC adapter, plugging it into an AC outlet and you’re ready to use it. The single USB-C PD port is colored orange and above the port is where you can find a Green LED light that shows that it’s powered and ready to use.
Structure and Material:
The build quality is solid, and basically what you can expect from other chargers that you own. It’s not a rugged build so don’t drop it onto hard-flooring, but it can, of course, withstand daily use.
On the tech side, the charger does get a little warm if you’re charging a more powerful and larger device such as a laptop. This is likely due to the smaller form factor and higher power usage combination.
The reliability of this charger is universal when it comes to charging Power Delivery compatible devices as it has such a high power output. The only question is whether you can make use of that power?
Charging power is great even though this charger only has a single port, the port still outputs 60W of charging power.
Even with its high power output, the charger is able to have a small form factor thanks to the use of a GaN chip.
The build quality is good, but the charger does heat up a little if it’s outputting higher amounts of power for a long duration.
The main reliability factors include its limit usage of one port, and whether or not you can make use of its full 60W of charging power range.
Specs of the Aukey PA-D4 60W PD Wall Charger with GaN:
USB-C Power Delivery Port: 60W
- Input: 100-240V AC
- LED Power Indicator: 1 Green LED Power Indicator
- Size: 2.5 x 2.3 x 1.4 inches
- Weight: 4.1 Ounces
Aukey’s 60W GaN Power Delivery wall charger is a step in the right direction when it comes to universal charging as it features a high output that blankets over many PD compatible devices. To top it all off, you get the form factor of a single port USB-A wall charger.
AUKEY USB C Charger 60W with Power Delivery 3.0 & GaN Power Tech, Compatible with MacBook Pro,iPhone Xs/Xs Max/XR,Dell XPS 13, Samsung Galaxy S10 / Note9, Nintendo Switch,and More
- Fast & Efficient Charging: Built with the advanced Power Integrations ‘GaN’ power chip, this high-speed, high-efficiency charger packs 60W of power to fast charge compatible with 13” MacBook Pro, iPhone XS / XS Max / XR, Nintendo Switch, or other device that supports USB Power Delivery
- USB Power Delivery 3.0: Next-generation, future-proof fast charging technology that charges your USB Type-C phone, tablet, or laptop at up to 60W
- Compact & Portable: A streamlined GaN power system makes this charger much smaller and lighter than standard power supplies. Also features a foldable plug for maximum portability. Handy for home, office, and vacations
- Safe & Reliable: Built-in safeguards protect your devices against excessive current, overheating, and overcharging
- Package Contents: AUKEY PA-D4 60W PD Wall Charger, User Manual, 45-Day Money Back Guarantee and 24-Month Product Replacement Warranty Card